Saturday, June 1, 2013

Rotating Greens



Look at this gorgeous beauty!

I remember those lazy summer days as a kid, waking up to the wonderful scent of freshly cut grass...

And that's how this smoothie tasted..haha!

You should see the looks I get when I drink this in public.

It's a little bit like when I asked an employee in Whole Foods where the dairy free cheese is....he was like "Ohhhh, you're one of THOSE."

I said, "I'm really not high maintenance, I swear."

And Arlene was with me and was like

"YES SHE IS.

SHE IS HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I HAVE TO WORK WITH HER!"

And then she added "You don't get any more high maintenance than this." Pointing at me.

Anyway, my lovely friends, I wanted to share something with you that I've been reading up on.

Rotating greens.

Heard of it?

Well, it turns out, green smoothies are super popular now and people are lining up after Pilates classes in their spandex outfits at juice bars all over town to get them.

So much so, that there have been some green smoothie overdoses.

Can you believe this? Too much of a good thing, I guess.

So, here's the scoop, and I know you want the scoop, especially if you are a green smoothie freak like me.

First of all, it's good to eat a variety of foods so you get nutritional diversity.

Did you hear about that gal who ate nothing but ramen Noodles for like, 18 years and she has the health of an 80 year old?

They showed her picture and her skin was the exact color of ramen noodles! I swear.

We have to mix it up to make sure we get all of our vitamins and minerals and all that good stuff.

Anyway, another reason to rotate your greens is because all leaves contain small amounts of toxins as a defense mechanism to protect a plant from predation.

This is only a problem, I hear, if you eat a ton of greens. A few handfuls a day should not be a problem.

Here's more info with detail on the Nutribullet blog if you'd like to learn more.

http://nutribulletblog.com/top-3-reasons-to-rotate-your-greens/

I want a Nutribullet so badly!!

Have you seen the infomercial? Oh my goodness, I want it.

But I have a rule.

I won't watch an infomercial and have my phone and wallet in the room at the same time.

I can't be trusted.

Seriously, every infomercial makes me go "Wow! I need that, how did I live without that?!"

Slap chop? Need it!

Brazilian Butt Lift? Want it!

Hair Club for Men? I gotta join!

And then they're like "Think it's too good to be true?"

I always answer out loud, "Yes, this is too good to be true! It's TOO GOOD."

And don't even get me started on QVC...Watch Lisa Robertson for 5 minutes you will suddenly want a velvet vest with little sparkling beads and duckling patches on it and think it's the best thing ever.

Haha!

So, anyway, back to the green rotation...I switched over from spinach to dandelion greens in my smoothie and will continue this for a week or two. Then move onto kale, etc.

On a relatively related topic, someone asked me how eating a vegan diet makes me feel.

What a great question!

I feel amazing and energized.

But the coolest part is there's almost an emotional shift and I have feelings of joy and happiness almost all of the time.

Almost annoyingly so.

I had a client yell at me recently for being too perky and smiling too much. 

She told me to stop acting all excited and happy.

I told her "I'm not acting, this is really how I am."

She was like "Take it down a notch, Zippy."

Can you imagine? Haha!

I should've given her my green smoothie recipe.

Or maybe she could use a refreshing visit to Jack, for a colonic :)














No comments:

Post a Comment