Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Perfect Vegan

Today I talked to one of my very best friends who asked me not to use his name.

He looks a lot like Academy Award Nominee Woody Harrelson, if Woody Harrelson was about 10 years younger, and who ironically and incidentally is a vegan! (The actor, not my friend)

So let's call him Woody!

We are such good friends that once we were driving around. My husband was in the front seat, Woody was driving and I was in the back seat.

I said "Honey?" and they both answered.

Then they looked at each other and went back and forth saying "I thought I was Honey, no I am..." And so on and so forth.

Anyway, it was so good to catch up wih my sweet friend.

Woody asked me about my diet and said he wasn't sure if he could become a vegan but he wants to get healthier.

He was like "I'm not sure I could go full throttle vegan."

I told him, "Honey, it's not about being a perfect vegan, it's about being as healthy as you can be."

I've read plenty of vegan blogs through the years and one thing I notice is the need to be perfect and almost virtuous about what they eat.

I've never been a perfectionist. I think my Mom helped me with that.

I had one bad semester in college. My grades were...let's just say lack luster.

So my Mom was like "Well, did you try your very best?"

And I said "Not really, I kinda screwed around."

So then she says "Well, can you try harder next time?"

"I guess so..." I said.

See, no pressure!

Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you must stop eating all meat, or dairy, etc.

I'm doing what I think is right for me. I don't preach to anyone about what they should eat. How boring would I be?

Woody's Dad passed away from colon cancer just a few years ago. It was extremely difficult and sad for him and his family.

So, he was eager to talk to me about implementing some new healthy habits.

This was my advice, given only because he asked. :)

I told him to try a meat and dairy free meal a couple of times a week at first to see how he feels.

Eventually he may want to do more.

Everyone's different, so I say do what's right for you.

My husband eats very similar to me, but still eats eggs and some fish.

No, he's not a vegan, but look what he quit eating: sausage, steaks, lunch meat, chicken, cheese and butter.

Good for Lil' Angel Baby!

You don't need a label like "vegan" or anything else.

It's about being healthy and feeling your very best.

Don't you think?

The best part of my talk with my friend today: he goes "Ok cool! I'm gonna get a salad for lunch today!"

That's what I call success.

That's why I started this blog about vegan food and beauty products.

If I can inspire someone to eat some vegetables once in a while or get a foundation that is closer to their actual skin tone, I feel really good about it. :)

I want to say one more thing...this lifestyle has really improved my mood. I cannot say it enough. I feel happy and light. My head is clear. I wake up before my alarm goes off, for the first time ever. 

And I feel balanced and rested.

If you are feeling down or sad, you may want to try this way of eating.

That's all for now...Have a fabulous day, wonderful friends. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment