Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Alexandra Sassypants Gets a Makeover

I have always loved makeovers. Especially in movies set to music!

Years ago, in college, I would do makeup for the girls in my dorm.

On many Friday nights they'd line up for me to get them all beautified.

Jenny, my best friend and roommate would have their names on a list. She'd greet them at the door with her clipboard.

"Is your skin clean? Did you moisturize? Are those your own brushes?" Jenny would ask.

Then she'd put a check mark by their name and say "Ok, she'll see you now."

I would doll them up 80's style with lot's of black eyeliner, peach blush, sparkely eye shadow and pearly pink lips.

Then the hair. Ohhhh the hair. AquaNet Baby! I would tease it up, spray it. Spray it some more.

One more spritz and done!

"This should withstand a 2 to 3 hour make out session, or a Category 5 hurricane," I'd promise.

Some of the girls offered to pay me.

No. I took no money for this service. That's not what it was about. I really just had fun and wanted to make the girls look good and more importantly feel good.

Jenny told me I was like Mother Teresa with a stippling brush.

And I had all the tools. The Revlon manufacturing plant is right here in my home state. Back in the day, you could go there and get makeup for almost nothing.

Large cases of eyeshadows, blush, mascara and perfumes for $10. And lipsticks and eye liners for $2.

I'm not kidding.

I'll never forget the first time I went to the Revlon Plant. I was in highschool.

My Mom gave me a hundred dollars and was like " Go crazy, Kid."

And I did. I walked in and it was like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory but with cosmetics. I stopped breathing for a moment, in complete awe.

"Are you alright, dear?" The lady behind the counter asked me.

"I think so...can I sit in that chair for a minute," I asked.

I swear I almost fainted.

So I got cases and boxes and bags of makeup. I went home and handed my Mom a lipliner. "I got this for you!" hahaha...so generous of me.

Anyway, if you're still reading...I have a client, Alexandra Sassypants. (Not her real name) who told me she wants to get a face lift.

I asked her why.

"Well, Doll, you see all this dry wrinkled skin? I want it gone!"

And I said "Alexandra, I understand your concerns, however, if you get a facelift, you are simply cutting and pulling all that dry sad skin tight to give the illusion that it's healthy and young, and it's just a bad idea and your face is going to look like a Coach bag."

So, I suggested the 5 Week Make Over.

She was all ears.

I read Dr. Murad's books called The Water Secret and The Murad Method, and put together a plan based on his writings.

For the next 5 weeks, do the following:

Get a facial every week - Massage Envy offers them for an affordable price with Murad products, which are world-class.

Get a massage

Drink a smoothie everyday - put greens and any kind of fruit you like.

Eat a salad everyday - you don't need to change your whole life, just add these 2 things in and see how you feel.

Get your sleep. Make it a priority. They don't call it beauty sleep for nothing.

Write in a journal. Chances are if you can't sleep, something's bugging you. Try writing it down.

Use great skin care products. I recommend Murad.

For Alexandra, I told her to start off with the Time Release Retinol Concentrate for Deep Wrinkles.

It will diminish deep wrinkles by 45% in 6 weeks. But you will see results right away. 

A friend of mine saved up $400 for injections for her wrinkles. I sent her one of these and she was so happy with the results, that she's putting that $400 toward her breast augmentation fund instead!  Go girl.

Then I recommended the Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion. This wonderful product infuses collagen into your skin and you'll see results in 2 hours!

Laugh every day - sounds silly but I do this all the time. I call my friends during the day sometimes and we laugh so hard we cry. When I hang up the phone I feel amazing.

Talk nicely to yourself....do you find yourself saying things like "I'm so dumb! I can't believe I did that!" Start talking to yourself in a positive way. You would't say that to your best friend, now would you?

Have some fun. What do you do that makes your little heart happy? As grown ups we almost forget to have fun. Go swimming, go for a bike ride, go shopping - a little retail therapy is good for you. Painting, cooking, glass blowing, I'm just thinking out loud here.

The idea is to do something where you enjoy it so much, you lose track of time and you feel refreshed and invigorated. I try to go the movies with my brother every month or so. We hang out and eat popcorn (no butter of course) and just get to be kids again for a while.

Read something each day. Exercise your mind. Even just a few pages of a good book. It will help you sleep, too.

Exercise - Again, make it a priority. Walk, hike, take a Zumba class, Pilates, swim. Make a plan to exercise with a friend.

Get some plants for your house. They clean the air and make your home look pretty. I have lots of plants. One of them is so gorgeous I named her Pamela Anderson :)

I've had so much great feedback from my clients who have implemented this into their lives, and from their clients, too.

I hope you liked this and found it helpful. That's all for now.

Good night my darling friends...



No comments:

Post a Comment